UI Claims Info
How to File an Unemployment Insurance Claim
There are two ways to file an unemployment insurance (UI) claim -- by telephone or on the Internet.
File by phone
Call the TeleClaim Center at 1-877-626-6800 if you are calling from the following area codes: 351, 413, 508, 774, and 978.
Call the TeleClaim Center at 617-626-6800 if you are calling from any other area code.
Hearing Impaired: TTY/TTD: 711
DUA TeleClaim Center Hours
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
NOTE: Shorter waiting times can be expected later in the week.
Calling the TeleClaim Center makes it easy to:
File a new claim for benefits
Reopen an existing claim
Be interviewed if there are issues that affect your eligibility
Resolve problems with your claim
Obtain up-to-date information on the status of your claim and benefit payment check
When you call the Unemployment Insurance TeleClaim Center, you will press a number on your telephone to choose services in English or another language.
To file a new Unemployment Insurance claim or to reopen and existing claim, press 1.
For immediate information on the status of your check or claim certification, press 2.
To sign up for Direct Deposit or to cancel or change existing Direct Deposit information, press 3.
For customer assistance, to resolve a problem, to provide a social security number for a dependent child, or to change your address, press 4.
For information on the unemployment insurance program, how to file for benefits, and how to obtain job search and retraining assistance, press 5.
UI Online is a secure, easy-to-use, self-service system. You can apply for benefits, reopen an existing claim, request weekly benefit payment, check your claim status, sign up for direct deposit, update your address and even file an appeal online. When you use UI Online for the first time, you will be asked to enter your Social Security Number (SSN), create a password, and select a security question and answer.
Remember your password and security answer. You will use your SSN and password to access UI Online each week. If you forget your password, your security question and answer will be used to reset your password. To apply for benefits using UI Online, go to www.mass.gov/dua, select UI Online for Claimants and complete the required information to submit your application.
Be sure to have the information listed below to complete this task.
Information we'll need from you:
- Your Social Security Number
- The year you were born
- Your home address and telephone number
- Whether you have filed an unemployment insurance claim in Massachusetts or in any other state during the past 12 months
- Your last day of employment
- The names and addresses of all of the employers you have worked for during the 15 months prior to filing your claim and the dates you worked for each of these employers. If you are reopening a claim, be ready with the same information for the past 8 weeks
- The reason that you are no longer working or that your hours have been reduced
- The names, dates of birth and social security numbers for any dependent children, if you are going to apply for dependency allowance
- Your alien registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen